Someone shared an online petition with me on Facebook recently, which I signed. This morning, over my second cup of coffee, I thought I’d look to see if other petitions exist. Wow! There are lots of them. If you’ve not signed an online petition lately, you may not know how easy it is to make one, and how convenient the online tools make them to share with friends, family, and co-workers.
There is a downside to all this convenience though. It’s so easy to create a petition these days that the more challenging job is to figure out where to focus your efforts in a popular cause like this. Oh, and at this point, please, please don’t create any more petitions. Instead, why not read my run-down of the top petitions on Google, sign the top one or two, and share the link through your social media contacts.
- Immigrant Rights Petition: Tell Governor Bentley to STOP HB56 This one has only 126 signatures, and too many exclamation marks to be taken seriously. Next please…
- Immigrant Rights Petition: Stop HB 56 and the Criminalization of … This one looks really good. It includes a photo, a very well-written letter, and has 401 signatures. I signed.
- Immigrant Rights Petition: Stop Alabama’s Anti-Immigrant Law… This petition appears to be closed, with 542 signatures. I didn’t sign.
- Immigrant Rights Petition: The State of Alabama: To repeal HB-56 … Nice solid logo, but only 60 signatures. Sorry!
- Stop HB 56 and the Criminalization of Immigrants in Alabama This petition weighs in with 1762 total signers, giving it the most of any petition I reviewed. If you support just one petition, this is the one I’d suggest. I signed.
- Petition Against Alabama’s HB 56 | Facebook Facebook is great for many things, but not for creating a petition. This one had only ten posts—again, not enough to matter. I didn’t sign.
- Will you sign this petition to repeal HB56? | Flickr This site is not a petition, but a nice photo. Bonus points to these hard-working volunteers for raising awareness of their hard-copy petition using this popular photo sharing network.
- We the People petition This one is on the White House website. The “threshold” is 25,000 signatures in 30 days, or about 1000 signatures per day, so we really need to get the word out about this.